Led by Peter Lim, M.D., FACOG, medical director of the Institute for Robotic Surgery at Renown Regional Medical Center, and co-authored by six other doctors from around the country, the study analyzed more than 32,000 benign hysterectomy cases. The results showed that physician-guided robotic surgery allows doctors to handle particularly complex cases resulting in a faster recovery with fewer complications.
The study, published in the International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, demonstrates the value of robotic surgery and the benefit it brings to women.
“This study gives women and the surgeons who care for them important insights to inform their decision making,” said Dr. Lim. “We are proud to offer women many choices when it comes to their health needs and da Vinci surgery is just one of the many investments Renown has made to improve the quality of healthcare in our region.”
As one of only eight Robotic Epicenters for gynecologic oncology in the nation, Renown is an internationally recognized training center with surgeons traveling across the world to learn from Dr. Lim and Renown’s expert surgical teams. The Institute for Robotic Surgery is the most experienced in our region and not only offers the most advanced da Vinci Robotic Surgery System called the Xi, but also holds the designation as the only Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology (COEMIG) in the state.
Over 4,000 robotic-assisted surgeries have been completed at Renown by the skilled team of da Vinci doctors in our community. Da Vinci surgeries are currently offered at Renown for hysterectomy and gynecologic cancer, as well as colorectal, hernia, gallbladder, prostate, kidney, thoracic, lung and stomach conditions. For more information, visit Renown.org/daVinci.
Available resources for media:
- Wednesday, March 23, 8:00 a.m. - Interview with Dr. Peter Lim, lead author of study and medical director of the Institute for Robotic Surgery at Renown Regional Medical Center
- Wednesday, March 23, 8:20 a.m. - Interview with a Reno resident who recently had a benign hysterectomy with da Vinci Surgery
- Wednesday, March 23, 9 - 10 a.m. - Opportunity for B-Roll at Renown and in an Operating Room with a da Vinci robot
- Wednesday, March 23, 9 - 10 a.m. - Opportunity for media to “test drive” a da Vinci robot and have an interactive experience
- Photos, animations and B-Roll from Intuitive Surgical, the makers of da Vinci